Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Loaded Zucchini Pineapple Bread with Nuts and Chocolate Chips

This time of year lot of people are gardening and planting veggies in gardens.  My neighbor sent me two round Zucchinis, in shape which I have never seen, first I thought they were pumpkins but no they said it was Zucchini.  I usually make Indian dishes like plain Zucchini curry or Zucchini Kofta Curry, but decided to make the Zucchini bread with a twist. This way I can share it with my neighbors, who were so kind to share the Zucchini from their garden. I used one of the the two round Zucchini to yield 4 cups of shredded drained zucchini for this recipe.
This is very versatile recipe, if you or your family members are allergic to nuts, you can omit the nuts. Also I went all out with Chocolate chips morsels and Butterscotch morsels but you can omit the Butterscotch morsels because you can't really taste them, but do not omit the chocolate chip morsel... that is a must ingredient for me.
Also I used crushed pineapple for this recipe, I used the entire 20 oz can of drained crushed pineapple but you can just use 1/2 of the cane (10 oz ) and may add 1/2 cup of sour cream for the extra moistness. I did not use sour cream. Also I did not use too much sugar as I don't like it very sweet but you can add 1-2 more table spoon of sugar if you like. If you just want to enjoy plain zucchini bread you can omit the nuts, pineapple and morsels and just add sour cream and rest of the ingredients listed here.
Here is the basic recipe you can play with it and make it to your liking.


Ingredients: 
  • 4 cups  of grated Zucchini 
  • 1 20 oz can of drained crushed pineapple or 10 oz of drained pineapple and 1/2 cup of sour cream, I did not use sour cream)
  • 3 and 1/2 cup of AP flour ( I used 3 cups of AP and 1/2 cup of Barley flour, but you can use just plain all purpose flour) 
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 cup of brown sugar I used  organic coconut brown sugar (can  use regular brown sugar)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup of  vegetable oil
  • 3 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 3 teaspoon of ground cinnamon 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  •  1 cup  of coarsely crushed walnuts and 1/2 cup additional if you wish to sprinkle on the loaf before baking.
  • 1/2 cup of pistachio and 1/2 cup additional if you wish to sprinkle on bread loaf before baking. (I used roasted salted pistachios but you can use plane raw pistachios or totally can omit them.
  • 1/2 cup of chocolate chip morsel (dark or milk chocolate whatever your palate desires)
  • 1/2 cup of butterscotch morsels (totally optional)






Method: 
  • Grease two 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan, I actually did two of these and one small 8" x 4" x 3" so I can share a loaf with neighbors, but you can easily make this recipe in two loaf pans.  
  • Preheat the oven at 350 F (this is the baking temp, I usually preheat 10 degrees more so 360 F then I turn the heat down once I put the pans in the oven as you loose some heat when you open the oven door to place the loafs of bread)
  • Mix all dry ingredients as follows: Flours, salt, baking powder, soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon in large bowl. I usually whisk it all together or you can sift it all together and  set aside.
  • Wash and Grate Zucchini with skin intact. 
  • Drain all he liquid out of the grated zucchini in a colander and then squeeze all the extra water out of grated zucchini with palms of your hand.
  • Do the same to crushed pineapple.
  • Grind the nuts in food processor separately as walnuts tends to grind faster than pistachios 
  • Beat eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla in the electric mixing bowl.
  • Stir in Zucchini, pineapple (20 oz or 10 oz and 1/2 cup sour cream if using it, I did not add sour cream).
  • Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix well. 
  • Fold in nuts and chocolate chip and Butterscotch morsels.
  • Mix well with spatula until everything is well incorporated. 
  • Pour batter in to greased pans.
  • Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
  • Bake at 350 F for 60-65 min or until the tester stick inserted in center comes out clean. (do not cover the pans)
  • I baked in two silicone and one glass loaf pan, I placed them all on a baking sheet so it is easy to remove from oven.
  • Miniature pans takes less time to bake (about 35-40 min).
  • My all three pans took 60 min to bake.
  • Cool the pans for 20 min.
  • Remove the bread loaf from pan and cool completely before slicing. 
  • You can even freeze the entire pan with bread in it and when ready to serve just thaw at room temp before slicing. 








































Enjoy!!











 Recipe and Photographs by Surekha


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...