I baked this cake in Novemeber 2012 for my son's and my nephew's birthday. I had lot of Kit Kat bags left over from Halloween. I had seen a Kit cake decorated cake somewhere and wanted to surprise both my son and my nephew with this. It was a great hit !!
Caution all of you calorie counters !! This cake is very rich and very addictive. This serves about 12-16 people. (depending on the serving size of course ;)
For filling, icing and decoration:
- 2 eight oz pack of softened cream cheese
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chip morsels
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 teaspoon of instant coffee
- 1 tub eight oz tub of cool whip thawed
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 bag of mini Kit Kats
- 1/4 cup of your favourite chocolate shavings
- 1 package of double dutch or fudge cake or regular chocolate mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 pack of chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise
- 12" Spring form cake pan or two 9 inch round pan
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven at 350 F
- In small sauce pan melt chocolate on low heat (you can melt it in double boiler
- In a large mixing bowl combine 3 tbls of milk, cream cheese, sugar, melted chocolate, vanilla, coffee and cool whip, beat until smooth with no lumps, keep aside
- Grease and flour the cake pan
- In large bowl combing dry cake mix, eggs, water, sour cream, pudding mix, mayo, cinnamon and oil, blend until moisten (beat as directed on box)
- Pour batter into pan
- Bake for 35 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Cook cake pan for 30 min, remove for spring form cake pan and cook completely
- Make a 1 " horizontal cut around side of the cake, using long serrated knife.
- Remove the top layer by sliding a round 9-12 inch cardboard round, keep aside, repeat this process making three slices.
- Carefully place the bottom layer of cake on a paper dolly on a serving plate.
- Frost the bottom layer with 1/3 of the cream cheese frosting, then slide the second layer with cardboard on top of bottom layer very gently and repeat the process of transferring layers to stacked layers with card board circle and repeat frosting.
- Finally frost the cake all the way around. Break the Kit Kat in to single sticks and stack them around the cake making a fence like structure around the cake.
- Sprinkle chocolate shaving or top with strawberries and or raspberries for decoration.
Photographs by Surekha.