However I did add a fresh ingredient : My favorite shelled Edamame (Soya beans). Using the left over veggies did cut down on the time, but if you like to make from fresh veggies I will write down the amount and method to do that as well.
Ingredients for Fried Veggie Dumplings:
I had following cooked veggie items in my fridge:
* 2 cups of Cabbage sabji with sweet peppers and green onions.
* 2 cups of Left over creamed corn soup with Tapioca and potatoes
* 3 cups of Roasted red peppers, mushrooms and onions with Paneer from Kathi rolls filling that I did not use.
* 1 cups of Baigan Bhartha (spiced roasted eggplant)
In addition to these I used following ingredients:
* One 12 oz pack of shelled Edamame.
* 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
* 1 cup of Tempura flour
* Pinch of salt
* Oil for frying
However if you wish to use all fresh veggies you can use following instead of the leftovers:
* 2 cups of cabbage cut into coleslaw style
* 1 cup of finely chopped cauliflower or Broccoli
* 1 cup of kernel of corn
* 1 cup of chopped carrots
* 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (optional)
* 1/4 cup of finely chopped green onions
* 1 boiled potato peeled and cubed
* 4-5 sweet yellow, red and orange peppers
* 1 bell pepper red or green
* 4 oz of Paneer cubes
* 1 yellow onion chopped
Method to make Veggies dumplings:
*When using fresh veggies one thing is that you will have to cook all the above uncooked veggies.
* You can either saute them in some oil or boil them or, or to save time you can toss above in 2 tablespoon olive oil and roast them in broiler until soft but not charred.
* When soft set them aside to cool.
* Here are the common steps to make the veggie dumplings.:
* Cook the shelled Edamame in bag per instructions until soft and let them cool.
* In the food processor chop and grind the Edamame beans.
* Add either all the left over veggies or boiled for broiled veggies.
* Grind everything to somewhat coarse paste.
* If you are using left over cream of corn soup, be sure to make it thick by cooking it and cool it.
* Mix all purpose flour, and tempura flour and pinch of salt and mix everything until everything is well incorporated in a thick batter like texture.
* Heat oil to 375 - 400 degrees F in a deep frier.
* Carefully drop the batter in small dumplings (about small key lime size) and deep fry until golden brown.
* Place the fried dumpling on paper towel for extra oil to drain. Set aside.
Ingredients for Manchurian Sauce
* 1 tbsp light soya sauce
* 2 tbsp chilli garlic sauce (from local Chinese grocer)
* 2 tbsp spoons red pepper paste (from middle eastern grocer)
* 1 tbsp spoon Lite Teriyaki sauce
* 1/4 cup chilli- tomato sauce (Maggie brand from Local Indian grocer)
* 1/4 cup wine vinegar
* 1 tbl spoon of black pepper sauce
* 1/4 cup of wine vinegar * 1/4 cup Habenero Ketchup (from World market)(can use regular Ketchup)
* 3 tbl spoon creamy peanut butter
* 2 tsp cornstarch
* 1/4 cup water
Method to make Manchurian sauce:
*Mix above ingredients in a bowl with spoon until everything is well blended and smooth.
* Set aside.
Ingredients to prepare gravy and Manchurian:
* 2 tbsp spoon veggie oil
* 1 tbsp sesame seeds
* 2 dried red chili pods
* 2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
* 1 small fresh Jalapeno chopped
* 1 bunch of green onions chopped (save the chopped green part for garnish, I also added julienne of fresh turmeric for garnish)
* 6 pods of garlic finely chopped
* 1 yellow onion chopped
* 1/2 red onion chopped
one 8 oz pack of mushroom sliced
* 1 green pepper chopped in to chunks
* 2 bullion cubes
* 1 and half cup of water to make veggie stock. (or may use 1 and half cup of veggie stock)
Final steps to make the Veggie Manchurian:
* Prepare veggies stock from bullion cubes with 1 and half cup of water. Set aside.
* Heat oil in wok.
* When oil is hot add sesame seeds and chili pods.
*Add chopped green, red and yellow onions and garlic and ginger. Saute for 1 min.
* Add chopped Green pepper, Jalapeno, and mushroom. Saute for another minute
* Add the sauce and veggie stock, cook for 2-3 min on medium heat until sauce thickens.
* Add about 20 fried veggie dumplings and toss gently, do not stir too much otherwise the dumplings with fall apart.
* Garnish with chopped green part of spring onions and fresh turmeric (optional)
* Serve hot with white rice or noodles.
* You may not need to add any salt, but you can taste it and add if needed.
This recipes yields about 4-5 servings.
* With left over ingredients you may end up with more dumplings that you would need for this recipe, (you need only 20)
* You can freeze the rest and then can use them for Veggie Kofta curry or for besan pakora curry.
Or you may simply enjoy them as Pakoras with your favorite Ketchup or spicy sauce.
Recipe and Photographs by Surekha.