Her mom gave her the basic recipe upon my request but like all the good cooks are, she could not give me the exact proportions and exact duration of baking, so I decided to experiment it with a little modification of ingredients of course. It came out pretty close to her mom's.
- 2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios or Tasty 'Os'
- 2 cups of Cashews (I used lightly salted roasted cashews)
- 2 cup of unsalted almonds (not roasted)
- 2 cups of roasted but unsalted peanuts
- 3 cups of Honey nut Chex
- 1 cup of maple syrup (I used light syrup)
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar (her mom did not add brown sugar, so this could be optional)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Heat oven at 350* F.
- Mix and gently toss all nuts and cereal in a deep bowl.
- Add Maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Gently fold it all in without breaking cereal.
- Line a metal large baking sheet with edges with parchment paper. I just linted the baking sheet with Silicone cookie sheet.
- Pour the mix on to the baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 25 min, gently turning it over in between with spatula.
- The mix should be light brown, don't be alarm if it feels watery initially.
- Turn the oven off and take the baking sheet out of oven and let it cool completely.
- Loosen the mix as the nuts and cereal may be stuck together.
- Line an airtight container with parchment paper and store in this air tight container.
- You won't have to worry about it going bad at room temperature storage, because believe me, it won't last that long, it will be gone in 3-4 days, as it is so delicious and addictive, you can't just stop after taking a handful.
Thank you Nicole and Melissa for sharing this recipe with me !!
Recipe source: Nicole and her mom Melissa
Photographs and adaptation of recipe by: