- Appetizer Dips & Salsas
- Beans Lentils and Legumes
- Cocktail Drinks
- Indian Bread
- Indian Curries
- Indian Desserts
- Indian Snacks
- Indian vegetable side dish
- Rice Side dishes
- Side dish
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Black Chick Peas Salad (Kala Chana Masala Chat)
Sorry Guys, It has been a while since I posted a recipe. Went to NY City for the weekend. Got back and caught some stomach bug. Was not feeling up to eating or cooking anything. Now feeling better, so here I am :) back to cooking, and blogging...again.
This can be served as a side dish, or salad, I just like to munch on it as afternoon snack, pretty healthy too :)
2 cups Black Chick peas (available at local Indian grocers)
Water to soak the Chick peas
4 cups of water to cook the chick peas
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tea bags
2 teaspoon salt
1 white/yellow onion finely chopped
1 red onion finely chopped
3 spring onions chopped
4 Roma tomatoes finely chopped
1-2 table spoon of Cilantro leaves finely chopped
Juice of 4 fresh limes
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon black salt
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Mango powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon roasted cumin seeds powder
* Wash the the chick peas with water.
* Soak the chick peas overnight in water.
* Next day add salt, baking soda and pressure cook them with teabags.
* Let the pressure cooker cool.
* Take out the chick peas, drain all the water, discard the tea bags.
* Transfer the boiled chick peas in a bowl.
* Add chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro, all the spices, lime juice and mix well. You can adjust spices and ingredients depending on your taste.
* You can also add one chopped fresh Serrano peppers to this to give some extra kick.
* You can serve this right away, for extra crunch sprinkle Sev (Indian fine Noodles) on individual serving of this yummy salad.
* You can make the same salad with canned white Chick peas (Garbanzo beans) but the taste of the black chick peas is totally different that that if Garbanzo beans.
Recipe and Photographs by Surekha