Monday, May 30, 2011
Spicy Garlic Pickle in Oil / Lahsun Ka Telwala Achar
This is my favorite pickle. Tastes very good on side with chapati/sabji and also with Rice and dal. Or you can just have it with piece of any bread of your choice.
* 5 cups of peeled garlic cloves (~ 2 pounds of peeled garlic, I used already peeled garlic cloves from Costco)
* 1/3 cup of split mustard seeds (Rai dal, available at local India grocer)
* 1/4 cup of crushed Fennel seeds (Sauf) (optional)
* 3/4 cup of cayenne pepper (you can use more if you like spicy)
* 1/2 cup of Paprika powder
* 1/4 cup of salt
* 1 tablespoons of turmeric powder
* 2 tablespoons of mango powder
* 1/2 tablespoon of Asafetida
* 1 and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
* Take the peeled garlic cloves in a deep bowl.
* Pour all the spices on to garlic cloves.
* Heat oil on stove until very hot.
* Carefully pour hot oil on spices and garlic cloves.
* Keep mixing as you pour oil.
* Pour all of the oil so he pickle is submerged in oil.
* Let it cool in the bowl.
* Transfer in a glass jar.
* Keep the jar at room temp for few days, you can keep in hot sun for few days covered with muslin cloth. (make sure it does not rain) Keep mixing it in between.
* Garlic will become somewhat soft in three to four days of hot sun exposure. All the spices will be nicely blended in and the garlic pods will be deliciously marinated in to these blended spices. The pickle is ready to be served :)
* You can keep it at room temp if you have made small quantity, or in the fridge if made large quantity like this.
* Mix the pickle well before every time you serve it as the oil will be floating on top and all the spices and garlic will be settled down.
Recipe and Photographs by Surekha.