Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Vegetarian Bean Tostadas and Flat Bottom Tacos

Some times when I can't think of what to make for lunch or dinner, I browse my recipe books to get ideas.  I hope this blog can do the same for you.
I am posting this recipe just because it was fun to assemble. I got quite excited to find flat bottom Taco and crunchy Tostadas at local grocers.
I bought one pack of each,  the nacho cheese flavored flat bottom tacos and regular corn tostadas. I decided the make these.  I had most of the ingredients in my fridge and pantry.



 Here are the ingredients I used:
  • 2 Avocados ripe but firm 
  • 3-4 spring onions
  • Juice from one fresh lime
  • 1 small bunch of cilantro
  • 2 cups of bean and corn salsa (recipe on this blog)
  • One 12 oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese or any cheese (  Pepper jack cheese of Mexican cheese) 
  • One bunch of Romain lettuce or any of your favorite lettuce.
  • One 1/2 cup of pickled Jalapenos
  • 1 small container of light Sour cream
  • 1 small bottle of mild taco sauce (I used Ortega)
  • 1 bottle of Avocado salsa (I also had some home made avocado salsa which I used, recipe is on this blog)
  • One can of vegetarian re-fried pinto beans
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 fresh Jalapeno pepper
  • 2 table spoon oil
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
  • I also had some Goya pica de gallo salsa and Goya Taquera hot salsa in the fridge which I used as topping
  • You can use any favorite salsa mild, medium or hot, whatever your palate desires.


First I prepared the beans as follows:
  • Chop yellow onion, garlic and jalapeno.
  • Heat oil in pan, when oil is hot add cumin seeds.
  • When seeds crackle, add taco seasoning followed by onions.
  • Saute onion until translucent and light brown.
  • Add garlic and chopped jalapenos.
  • Add refried  beans from can.
  • Mix well and add 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
  • Mix well until cheese is melted and turn the heat off, set aside.

  • For topping I peeled and cut avocado in small chunks.
  • Added lime juice , green onions and chopped cilantro to it , mix well and set aside.
  • Wash lettuce and drain all the water in salad spinner.
  • Chop lettuce and set aside in separate container.















  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
  • When ready to serve and eat, sprinkle  some cheese on tostada and taco shells if desired. I did not because I put the cheese in the beans.
  • Place them on baking tray and bake for 3-4 min.
  • Take them out of oven.
  • Let them set for few seconds until cool, then prep for serving as follows:



  • Spread the bean mix on the Tostadas and tacos.
  • Top with black bean and corn salsa.
  • Followed by Avocado green onions mix, cheese lettuce, taco sauce, salsas and sour cream
  • Top with pickled jalapenos if desired.


There are no rules here, you can prep them any which way you want.
It is a fun snack or lunch to prepare with kids.
You can even prepare all the topping ahead of times an refrigerate them and when ready to serve just heat up the bean mix and bake the taco and Tostadas when ready to serve.























Don't they look yummy?
On some of them I did use home made avocado salsa.
Hope this gave you an idea for your next meal either snack, lunch or dinner :)

Enjoy !!
Recipe and Photographs by Surekha

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...