Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Super Moist Chocolate Pina colada Cake




























Wishing you all a very very Happy 2012 !!


My sincere apologies for not posting for long time.

Have been busy...completed Spanish intermediate I course and was getting ready to take Intermediate II. Then just found out the class was cancelled, so I will not be able to take it this semester :( Just when I was getting hang of it. I hope some day I can speak the language fluently.

Had a very nice New Year's Eve Party at my house with close family and friends. Had Paneer Kathi roll for appetizer, which I must say was a hit !! (recipe on this blog)

This cake recipe is all time favorite of mine. I am sorry to say that this is a re-post, but with pictures this time. Originally I had posted this on 11/8/10 because I did not want to loose the recipe, but I haven't baked this for long time, simply because it is very rich and high in calories.

A very good friend of mine Sulu gave me this recipe about 25 years ago. Just a word of advice and caution, it is very addictive !! So bake it at your own risk......

As I mentioned, I don't bake it very often, because I love it and it all ends up on my hips....However it always has been a favorite recipe of mine and I am very proud to add this cake to my favorite recipes collection.


Ingredients:


* 1 box of chocolate cake mix


* 1½ cup of Pina colada prepared from dry mix


* 1/3 cup of shredded dry unsweetened coconut (optional)


* ¾ cup of condensed milk


* 1½ cup of chopped nuts (optional)


* 1 box (4oz) of instant chocolate pudding mix


* 2 cups of milk



Cream cheese chocolate frosting (optional) (recipe below)



Method:



• Bake the chocolate cake in 13 x 9 pan according to directions on the box.


• In the mean time make the instant chocolate pudding per direction on the box.


• Prepare Pina colada per direction on the box except do not add sugar, you may blend dry coconut with it, but if you are not a coconut fan, you can totally omit it.


• Take the cake out of oven and cool.


• Make holes in the cake with back of a wooden spoon, about 1” apart on all over the surface of the cake.


• Pour unsweetened Pina colada (mixed with coconut) in to the holes all over the cake in to the holes.


• Let is sit for 10 min.


• Then pour condensed milk into the holes followed by pudding mix.


• Let is sit.


• Ice it with chocolate cream cheese frosting.(you can get ready made frosting or totally omit the frosting and just use pudding as icing)


• Sprinkle with nuts. (optional step)


• Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving, or you may make it ahead of time and freeze it.


• Thaw before serving.




Chocolate Cream cheese frosting:



Ingredients:


• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese


• 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar


• 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream


• 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips



Method:


1. In double boiler melt chips and add heavy cream, mix until smooth take off of heat.


2. In mixing bowl whisk together sugar and cream cheese until smooth, slowly add chocolate mixture. Mixture will thicken up as the chocolate cools.




Recipes source: My good friend Sulu (original source unknown)

Photographs by Surekha.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...